Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dick and Dora, Fluff and Nip





I was thrilled to find a pile of Happy Venture readers at a garage sale today.
These are the books that most Aussie kids learnt to read from in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
Memories of Kindergarten and my teacher Mrs Macauley, came flooding back.
I opened the pages and what do you know...there were Dick, Dora , Fluff and Nip...my long , lost reading buddies...running, skipping, going to the toy shop.Dora giving her rag doll Jane a bath...and then unceremoniously pegging Jane from a tree to dry. Oh, and that naughty Nip, he pulled Jane of that tree and put her in the mud !







Unbelievable , how a silly little book can stir up so many emotions and childhood recollections !
But what lovely memories they are !

x Peta-Jane x

6 comments:

WhimsybyMari said...

I received the most amazing parcel today!! Thank you so much I can't even tell you which I love the most. Buster modeled his jacket he looks very dapper. I will blog about it on Monday. Hugs,
Mari

Anonymous said...

Do you still have a copy of these books available. I would love to purchase one to read to my nephew. This was the first book I learned to read from. I would love to share with my nephew. Or even if you have it in PDF format. akyrah34@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have been looking for these books for years. Any ideas wehre I can find them? Martina

Anonymous said...

Try AbeBooks.

Anonymous said...

I remember Dick and Dora too. This was my first reading book at school. I keep telling my friends and family about Dick and Dora but they dont recall them at all.
I was so glad to see your post. It does bring back happy childhood memories.

Elaine from Renfrewshire Scotland.

Unknown said...

I'd like to buy a set please....How can I get them?